Wednesday, December 16, 2015

I'm still here!

I think that's my new motto, "I'm still here!".  For now.  Much has transpired in the last few weeks, so I thought I would summarize it all here in my own words and let everyone know I am still around and the fight continues.
Those following along at home know that in May, I had quite the surgery full of "-ectomies".  Recovery from that took a while, but I did quite well and we had an EPIC vacation driving across the north and west.  Many followed along as Jessica posted during our journey, and we made some lasting memories that should last the boys a lifetime.  It was a great trip.  Saw lots of awesome places and meaningful people that I have known over the years.  Once back from our trip, it was soon time for my first post operative CT scans and those came back clean.  That was a surprise, but it felt pretty good for the time being.  This was August.  In early October (my birthday actually) I had my next scan and there was something questionable in the imaging.  We agreed to not do anything at this point and just wait another 6 weeks and then do some more imaging.  That happened the week before Thanksgiving and indicated again an area in my left neck that looked questionable.  From there, I was to have a biopsy to confirm cancer at the cellular level.  I arrived for the biopsy, but they couldn't find it with enough confidence to just go jamming a needle in my neck, so I left that appointment with nothing to show for it.  The next attempt would be a CT guided biopsy, and that happened on Friday, the 11th of December.  Results from that do now indicate that my cancer has returned and I have an active tumor in my left neck, very near my stoma.  I have also been dealing with a staph infection in my chest for a few weeks and a nice festering wound near my stoma as well.  Let the good times roll!
So, what is next?  Each recurrence has left me with fewer and fewer options, and this one is no exception.  There are no more real surgical options and radiation is out of the question.  My only real credible option right now is to join in a clinical trial and see what a new drug does for me and my squamous cell carcinoma.  The drug is called Keytruda and it has shown some promising results in prior clinical trial with aggressive cancers, including some of the head and neck.  The drug is not a typical kill everything chemo, it works with and stimulates the body's immune system to help in the fight against these invasive cells.  If all goes as planned, I should start my first round of this treatment within 2 weeks.  In the meantime, I hope to just get back to living again as we have the past 6 months.  I am comforted with the knowledge that we are now where we are supposed to be, among the people we are suppose to be with.  I will continue to draw strength from those around me and do what I must to extend this journey.  I imagine I will post some more in the coming days, but this is about all for right now.

A nice scene from Crater Lake National Park.  That place is well worth a visit.


No comments:

Post a Comment